After a tornado destroyed a hangar and several airplanes at the Herbert Smart Airport, the city relocated the airlines, and General Aviation activities to Cochran Airfield which is now Middle Georgia Regional Airport.
The passenger terminal was built in 1959 and on July 21, 2004, the City of Macon rededicated the Middle Georgia Regional Airport Terminal following extensive renovation of the terminal that enhanced its appearance and upgraded the facility to augment economic development and tourism.
The former names of this airport were Lewis B. Wilson Municipal Airport and Macon Municipal Airport.
1940 – Construction
1941 – British Royal Air Force Pilot Training
1943 – U.S. Flight Training
1945 – Cochran Field was Deactivated
1947 – Commercial Flight Operations